Pro-Skills 2: Train-the-trainer concept
Why a continuation of Pro-Skills focusing a train-the-trainer concept?
More and more adults lack in personal, social and management skills which are basic conditions for successful Lifelong Learning. Particularly socially disadvantaged persons take rarely part in adult education offerings. Few offers exist that give adults the opportunity to get trained in basic skills within a protected environment. Furthermore there’s a lack of knowledge on the part of staff how to support these skills.
Pro-Skills2 aims on the sensitisation and qualification of staff in the fields of adult education, Lifelong Learning and social work.
Based on the former Grundtvig project “Pro-Skills”, a train-the-trainer concept will be upgraded that sensitizes and qualifies professionals in the promotion of basic skills. In order to reach a broad and lasting dissemination of the concept, Pro-Skills2 specially addresses leading staff and institutions who take responsibility for the first and advanced education of staff from the field of adult education and Lifelong Learning who work with the final target group (snow-ball system). Responsible members of these institutions take part in a European course on the training concept, build up regional networks and realize train-the-trainer courses in close collaboration with the project partners. The train-the-trainer concept will be implemented both in advanced on-the-job training as well as in initial education of social workers and similar professions. A final meeting on European level allows for feedback and exchange.
The Pro-Skills concept involves innovative approaches like self-regulated, productive, cooperative and experience-based learning into adult education.
The project is expected to reach a broad and lasting implementation of the concept into the education of professionals and thus indirectly in offers of adult education. The training concept and all materials will be published on this website in nine languages and will be available beyond the projects duration.
Duration of project: December 2010 – May 2013
Project number: 509958-LLP-1-2010-1-DE-GRUNDTVIG-GMP
Aims of the project
- Elaboration of a detailed train-the-trainer concept that includes
- Pro-Skills training concept (“Support of basic skills in socially unprivileged adults as a basic of Lifelong Learning ”) and strategies how to implement it
- Sensitization on needs for basic skills and on the responsibility of adult education to support these needs especially in socially unprivileged adults.
- Quality standards for the Pro-Skills training
- Adult education competence
- Sensitization and qualification of responsible trainers of trainers by realisation of a European train-the-trainer course; external experts from Lifelong Learning give input on certain background topics; active work with the Pro-Skills concept in small workshops; feedback on the training concept and exchange among the participants
- Establishing regional/national networks among institutions working in adult education and educational institutions that train professionals and staff
- Realisation of train-the-trainer courses on national level in collaboration of project partners and participants of the European train-the-trainer course: implementation of training concept both in initial staff education as well as advanced on-the-job training for professions who finally work with the target group of socially unprivileged persons
- Lasting implementation of the train-the-trainer concept in curricula of educational institutions that train social workers and similar professions
- Realisation of a final meeting on European level for exchange on further disseminat.
- Broad dissemination of the train-the-trainer concept beyond the institutions involved in the project
- Accreditation of the train-the-trainer course will be aimed on
- Sensitization of responsible professionals and decision makers on need for basic skills as a basis of Lifelong Learning and on the responsibility of adult education to support these needs especially in socially unprivileged adults
Standardized train-the-trainer concept on basic skills: So far, only few single non-standardized training efforts exist concerning the support of personal, social and self-management skills as a basis for Lifelong Learning. Pro-Skills2 develops the first standardized train-the-trainer concept on this topic.
Consideration of basic skills in curricula of first and advanced training for professionals: Still many professionals in the fields of adult education, Lifelong Learning and social work are not aware of the target group’s need for training in basic skills, or lack in knowledge how to support it. By providing a concept for train-the-trainer courses and implementing the accredited concept in existing curricula of staff education and advanced training, the project strongly promotes the lasting implementation of basic skills trainings to offers of adult education and Lifelong Learning.
Sensitization focusing on long-term effects: The project especially aims on long-term effects by the training and sensitisation of multipliers (trainers of trainers) and especially by the sensitization of responsible persons like leading educational staff and decision makers who are responsible for curricula and the design of training offers in professionals first and advanced training.
By the snow-ball strategy of the train-the-trainer concept, Pro-Skills 2 promotes the broad dissemination and lasting implementation of the innovative elements of the former Pro-Skills project, as there are the support of basic skills in adults as a basis for the access and successful accomplishment of educational offers and the implementation of innovative pedagogical and didactical approaches like self-regulated, productive, cooperative and experience-based learning in adult education.
Zentrum für empirische pädagogische Forschung, Landau (Germany)
Irti Huumeista Ry, Vaasa (Finland)
Azienda Sanitaria Locale di Milano, Milano (Italy)
Centre de Prevention des Toxicomanies, Luxembourg (Luxembourg)
Hochschule Fulda – University of Applied Sciences, Fulda (Germany)
Institute for Research and Development “Utrip”, Grosuplje (Slovenia)
Megyei Egészség Kultúrát Koordináló Alapítvány, Nyiregyháza (Hungary)
Protasi- Movement for another lifestyle, Patras (Greece)
Swiss Federation for Adult Learning, Nyon (Switzerland)